When it comes to fat loss weight lifting is just an afterthought because the most common practices for weight loss is through dieting and cardio. However, lifting weights will give you an edge over cancer, belly fat, stress and heart disease while burning just as much, if not more fat than cardio. The thing with cardio is that it burns both fat and muscle which often results in your metabolism crashing because muscle tissue burns roughly 7-10 calories per pound per day, compared to the 2-3 calories per pound per day for fat. So if you lose to much muscle mass the amount of calories you can have each day will be drastically reduced, making it much harder for you to lose weight since you’ll always be hungry.
If that isn’t enough to convince you to start lifting weights here are 5 reasons as to why you shouldn’t live another day without hitting the weights:
Your Heart Will Be Healthier
We all know that cardio is great for the heart, but that isn’t the only exercise with cardiovascular benefits. Following a proper weight training routine at least 3 times a week has been shown to lower blood pressure, reduce the risk of stroke by 40% and the chance of a heart attack by 15%.
You’ll Be Happier/Less Stressed
Research has shown that doing even just a small amount of lifting can work wonders for your mental health such as reducing anxiety/depression symptoms as well as improving your overall mood and self esteem. In fact a study in 2004 showed that after a stressful situation, the blood pressure levels of people with more muscle mass returned to normal faster than the folks with a small amount of muscle mass.
You’ll Have Stronger Bones
The fact is that the older you become the more bone mass you’ll lose which increases the likelihood of you fracturing your hips or vertebrae. Luckily for you, resistance training increases bone density and a study found that 16 weeks of resistance training increased the hip bone density while elevating the blood levels of osteocalcin (a marker of bone growth) by 19%.
You’ll Lose More Fat
Precisely you’ll actually lose 40% more fat because research on dieters who don’t do any form of resistance training on average lost 75% of their weight from fat and the other 25% from muscle. Compared to the lifter’s who lost almost all their weight from fat (precisely 95% or higher), this can help you keep the fat off and improve your reflection in the mirror.
You’ll Sleep Better
One of the most important principle for fat loss is getting a good night’s sleep and the more consistent you are with weightlifting the better you will sleep, especially for those who truly push themselves to the limit. In a study done in 2012 on older men, researchers found that weight training reduced the amount of times the participants woke up during the night compared to a control group who didn’t exercise.
If these 5 facts don’t prove to you how important it is to lift weights then nothing will… and if you have anymore questions about resistance training or fat loss then leave a comment down below.