When it comes to building muscle or weight loss whey protein is probably the first supplement you tend to think of, but does it actually help with any of those things ? well of course no supplement is required for weight loss or muscle growth and there are many that have gotten ripped without the use of supplements. Although no supplement is needed for you to build muscle or drop body fat, whey protein is probably the only supplement that gets close to becoming a “required supplement”. The reason for this is because whey can help with muscle development and physical performance. Furthermore, it is also an excellent way to get protein without getting much fat or carbs as you would if you ate other foods with high protein like meat or cheese. Now here is everything you need to know about whey and it’s benefits to you:
What Is Whey And How Is It Made ?
Maybe to your surprise whey is extremely common and you’ve probably had it since your childhood. How you ask ? well whey is actually made from milk and accounts for 20% of the protein in milk, the other 80% is called casein.
Whey is made by being extracted from milk solids, once extracted it is filtered to remove most of the fats and carbohydrates. It really is as simple as that and the more the whey is filtered the purer the protein becomes, with the carb and fat content also decreasing as you filter it more and more.
Three Kinds Of Whey Protein
There are 3 major types of whey protein and each is filtered/processed to a different degree. Starting from the least processed to the most processed here are the 3 types of whey:
Whey Protein Concentrate: Whey protein concentrate is rapidly absorbed and contains more branch chain amino acids than any other whey making it optimal for building muscles and helping in recovery.
Whey Protein Isolate: The fastest digesting protein that quickly targets your muscles for fast results. It’s low in lactose and carbs and is fat free, making it excellent to maintain low body fat levels and with it containing 90% protein its the best you can get.
Hydrolyzed Isolates: Hydrolyzed protein is created by hydrolyzing intact proteins into a mixture of amino acids and smaller proteins increasing muscle protein synthesis.
Whey Protein For Muscle Growth
Whey protein is perfect for muscle growth or muscle maintenance for many reasons. First is the extremely rapid rate at which it is digested and once it is digested the amino acids are broken down then absorbed into your bloodstream. After that your blood brings these amino acids to your broken/torn muscle tissues to ignite protein synthesis. Secondly, whey protein contains a large amount of BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids) and one key amino acid is Leucine which plays a vital role in promoting muscle growth. Additionally, you won’t need to waste your money to buy BCAAs supplements on it’s own if you get a high quality whey protein powder that contains it. Lastly, taking whey protein will actually boost the speed of your blood flow so that your torn down muscle fibers are repaired as soon as possible increasing the speed of your recovery time.
For those of you that have a weak stomach and need a lactose friendly whey protein powder: Check This Out
In conclusion whey protein can most definitely help with muscle growth, but you must still remember to train correctly, eat the right foods and get a good nights sleep. You must also remember not take whey protein powder more than two times a day (look for the recommended dosage on each brand of protein you get, if it doesn’t have a recommended dosage try not to take more than 4 scoops a day) because doing so can overburden your liver and lead to serious health issues.
If you would like to know how whey protein powders can help with weight loss: Click Here and if you have any more questions about whey protein powders then leave a comment below.