Crash Diets For Quick Weight Loss – Should You Do It ?

Share This Post:

If you’re considering to go on a crash diet for quick weight loss then there are a few very important things you should know before deciding whether to go ahead and do it or not. In this article the effects of crash dieting on your body will be explained clearly, but one thing you should know first is that if you’re looking to lose weight over a long period of time by crash dieting to achieve your goals faster then you must forget it now because it is a very stupid idea and one that you will regret.

What Happens When You Go On A Crash Diet ?

A crash diet is when you severely restrict your daily caloric intake by eating much less than what your body requires to function normally, sending your body into starvation mode with the hope that unwanted fat and weight will quickly be lost. However, this is very far from what actually happens and this approach will wreck havoc on your body/bodily functions.

After a few days of crash dieting it will appear as if you are losing weight rapidly, but the truth is that your body has only burnt a tiny bit off fat/muscle and a large chunk of that weight loss is really just carbohydrates that is stored as glycogen. Each gram of glycogen transmits 3 grams of water, so when the body uses up all the stored glycogen for energy all that extra water weight will also be lost making it seem as if you are losing weight.

omg scale

When your body is running on such low calories, your metabolic rate plunges and your body will do everything to preserve energy. This will have a negative effect on all normal actions in your body and will leave you feeling tired/sluggish.

When your body is starved it still needs to obtain energy to keep you alive and will not only burn fat, but your muscle aswell for energy therefore greatly enhancing muscle protein breakdown (when the body breaks down it’s own protein aka your muscles for energy). Furthermore, when you go on a crash diet you are not only starving your body from food, but also from all the other important nutrients your body desperately needs (protein, calcium, iron, fiber and vitamin B12 just to name a few) to function properly. This can lead to many serious health risks such as heart problems, decreased bone density, metabolic and immune system damage.

Also studies have shown that only 5% of people that have lost weight by following a crash diet ended up sustaining their weight loss, the other 95% either gained all their weight back or even more.

Should You Go On A Crash Diet ?

The answer to this question really depends on your own goals, but for long term weight loss (when you have to lose more than 10lbs) going on a crash diet is always a big NO. The only time a crash diet should be used is when you have to lose a specific amount of weight by a target date, it should honestly only be for something that’s really important and if you do decide to go on a crash diet it should never last more than 2 weeks.

sad diet

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter how badly or desperate anyone is to lose weight, it is never worth risking your health/well being for it when you can do it in a much better and controlled fashion. Remember “step by step you get ahead, but not necessarily in fast spurts.”.

If you have anymore questions about crash diets or want to share your own experience on them please leave a comment below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *