The grain has been an on going discussion over these past couple years and rightly so since grains are one of the world’s biggest source of food energy. Now since so many of you consume grains daily wouldn’t it make sense to know what your actually putting in your body ? Some think grains are the cause of all society’s health issues while others think they’re an essential part of a healthy diet. In this article we will discuss both the good and bad arguments on whether grains are of any benefit to you.
What Are Grains ?
Grains are seeds that grow on grass like plants called cereals and not only do us humans consume grains, but it is also used to feed our livestock (chicken, cows, pigs etc.) These grains are processed into many different food products such as corn, rice, oats and wheat.
There are also many foods that are made from grains such as breads, breakfast cereals, tortillas, donuts, cookies, pasta and pastries.
The Pros Of Eating Grains
- They are low in calorie density which promotes satiety. So if your feeling fuller for longer you will consume less calories and maintain a healthy weight.
- Grains provide many nutrients and fibre essential to having a healthy diet.
- Eating grains will help decrease your risk of type 2 diabetes, lower your risk of heart disease by 30%, high blood pressure and certain cancers. Taking Fish Oils Will Further Reduce Your Risk Of These Diseases: Full Review Of Fish Oils Here
- There have been many studies suggesting that people who consume less grains tend to be overweight or obese. The main reason for this is because not many foods contain as much fibre as grains which leads to body fat gain and the feeling of lethargy after meals. See once you eliminate grains you are only able to eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, dairy products and meat.
The Cons Of Eating Grains
- Celiac disease is a condition where your body fights gluten with its immune system since it believes that gluten is an “invader”. This can cause many problems in humans such as weight gain, memory issues, fatigue or even much more serious illnesses like heart disease and cancer.
- A less serious disease is that many people are intolerant to gluten just like how many are intolerant to lactose. Luckily, there are still gluten-free grains such as rice, corn, quinoa and oats that you can still consume.
- Grains cause your insulin levels to go through the roof leading to obesity and diabetes. Refined grains such as white rice causes a much greater insulin response, but whole grains such as brown rice causes a much smaller insulin release. Additionally, excess insulin certainly causes fat storage, but if your eating at an overall calorie deficit or maintenance these spikes of insulin won’t affect your weight as fat gain only occurs when you eat in a caloric surplus.
- Grains contain antinutrients that interfere with the digestion and absorption of other nutrients. Unfortunately, many foods that we eat today contain antinutrients so if you were to avoid them all there wouldn’t be much left for you to eat. However, if you prepare these foods by soaking, sprouting and fermenting them most of the antinutrients will be degraded.
So Should You Eat Grains ?
Grains are actually not bad for you and even though it may have a few cons the goods still far outweighs the bad. Although, if you can’t tolerate grains then obviously stop consuming them, but if your not sure well then its time for you too experiment. Go 30 days without grains (completely remove them from your diet) and after 30 days reintroduce grains back into your diet and see if you feel or look any better than when you didn’t have grains in your diet. If you feel terrible then it’s time for you too stop consuming grains as unfortunate as it is. P.S. always remember that excess calories, processed fats, sugars and meats are what you need to be the most concerned with when it comes to your nutrition. If you would like a list of the best grains to eat: Click Here
If you have anymore questions about grains then feel free to leave a comment below.